Monday, March 12, 2007

Cedeno still stinks, and continuing education in the Florida sunshine


The world's biggest Hard Rock Cafe restaurant/classic rock lecture hall.

We had an awesome time being spoiled by my parents in Florida, catching a spring training game, touring Universal Orlando and continuing my son’s formal classic rock training.

The schedule didn’t allow us to check in on the Mets, but we were able to see the Marlins and the Orioles in Jupiter – within two hours of touching down.

And that’s OK, because there’s nothing bad about watching baseball while basking in 75 degrees and brilliant cloudless skies. And it’s downright glorious considering we started the morning driving to the airport in a snowstorm.

One of the fun parts of a spring game is that you get to see veterans trying to catch on with a new club. This game was a severe test of my policy to avoid booing players not named Jeter or Chipper.

There were two very worthy targets. The Marlins were auditioning Aaron “Bleeping” Boone at first base, he of the Yankee homer heroics and killer of Red Sox dreams.

And the Orioles were trotting out Roger Cedeno, last seen getting glared at by Tom Glavine.

But first the nice things. Miguels Tejada and Cabrerra seemed to be in mid-season form already. Cabrerra fired a laser that hit the centerfield fence about a foot from the top. I don’t think the ball was ever higher than 10 feet off the ground.

The Fish were up by one late in the game, and our man Cedeno actually got a hit to drive in the tying run – only to get nailed trying to stretch it into a double. So much for that speed. That was supposed to be his greatest asset. And the O’s could have used that runner in scoring position, because they didn’t score again.

Roger Dean Stadium is shared by the Marlins and Cardinals.



Roger Dean Stadium is a nice place to see a game, and it’s shared by the Marlins and Cardinals. The gift shop even sold a Mets spring training t-shirt. Sadly, the concession stands were asking for $4 for a 20 oz bottle of Diet Coke. Who do they think they are, Starbucks?

The next day we headed to Orlando and Universal is just a fantastic place, especially if you love big coasters.

Aside from the two theme parks, the resort offers a night club, restaurant and shopping area anchored by the Hard Rock Café.

As you know from the previous post, my 14-year-old has discovered classic rock. And the world’s biggest Hard Rock is like a field trip for his study of the 1970s.

He and I made the pilgrimage one night, sitting under the rotating pink Cadillac at the bar munching on Joe Perry’s quesadillas and Tupelo Tenders and being only slightly afraid of the multi-pierced barkeep with the Mohawk.

The seat afforded us a fine view of a massive stained glass window that featured Elvis on the throne flanked by Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis. The domed ceiling was decorated in a scene resembling the painting in the U.S. Capitol, only George Washington and friends were replaced by images of assorted departed rockers.

We enjoyed a discussion about great music and destructive lifestyles, and then walked around the restaurant amazed at the collection of instruments and signed albums and photos.

The highlight for me was seeing Peter Criss’ Destroyer-era costume. And yes, people get annoyed if you stand at their table to ogle the stuff hanging on the wall above their nachos. Hey, I had to see it up close, OK?

Supposedly the bus from the Beatles’ “Magical Mystery Tour” film is there, but I didn’t see it.

Speaking of the Beatles, I get by with a little help from my blogging friends. Some of you have asked to see my son’s official classic rock iPod playlist, his introduction into his father’s past.

Here it is, but there needs some explanation. Some of the songs might not be my choice, but were requested by my son because they appear either on the PS2 game – “War Pigs,” Quiet Riot -- or the "Supernatural" DVDs. And he asked for the AC/DC.

And I succumbed to pressure and added a Floyd cut. But if I end up in the school counselor’s office defending my parenting skills, I’m bringing you with me. All of you.

Let me know if there are any glaring omissions. Remember, this is a primer for a 14-year-old. We want to introduce him, not scare or overly confuse him.

This is in alphabetical order, as he changes the order on the playlist often.

AC/DC “Back in Black”
AC/DC “Hells Bells”
AC/DC “Shoot to Thrill”
AC/DC “What Do You Do For Money Honey”
AC/DC “You Shook Me All Night Long”
Aerosmith “Sweet Emotion”
Aerosmith “Walk This Way”
Bachman Turner Overdrive “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet”
Bad Company “Bad Company”
Black Sabbath “Paranoid”
Black Sabbath “War Pigs”
Blue Oyster Cult “Cities on Flame With Rock and Roll”
Blue Oyster Cult “Don’t Fear the Reaper”
Boston “More Than a Feeling”
David Bowie “Rebel Rebel”
David Bowie “Space Oddity”
David Bowie “Suffragette City”
Cheap Trick “Surrender”
Alice Cooper “I’m Eighteen”
Alice Cooper “No More Mr. Nice Guy”
Alice Cooper “Poison”
Alice Cooper “School’s Out”
Alice Cooper “Under My Wheels”
Cream “Sunshine of Your Love”
Creedence Clearwater Revival “Fortunate Son”
Creedence Clearwater Revival “Proud Mary”
Deep Purple “Smoke on the Water”
Derek and the Dominoes “Layla”
The Doors “L.A. Woman”
The Doors “Roadhouse Blues”
Emerson Lake and Palmer “Karn Evil No. 9”
Grand Funk Railroad “Bad Time”
Grand Funk Railroad “Some Kind of Wonderful”
Grand Funk Railroad “We’re An American Band”
Norman Greenbaum “Spirit in the Sky”
Elton John “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting”
Jimi Hendrix “Fire”
Jimi Hendrix “Purple Haze”
Kansas “Carry On My Wayward Son”
Kiss “Rock and Roll All Nite”
Kiss “Strutter”
Led Zeppelin “Communication Breakdown”
Led Zeppelin “Immigrant Song”
Led Zeppelin “Rock and Roll”
Led Zeppelin “Stairway to Heaven”
Led Zeppelin “Whole Lotta Love”
Manfred Mann “Blinded By The Light”
Manfred Mann “For You”
Tom Petty “Refugee”
Pink Floyd “Wish You Were Here.”
Rolling Stones “Gimmie Shelter”
Rolling Stones “Jumping Jack Flash”
Rolling Stones “Satisfaction”
Bruce Springsteen “Born in the USA”
Queen “Bohemian Rhapsody”
Steve Miller Band “Rockin’ Me Baby”
Steve Miller Band “Threshold/Jet Airliner”
Quiet Riot “Come on Feel the Noize”
The Raspberries “Go All The Way”
Rush “Tom Sawyer”
Rush “Spirit of the Radio”
The Who “Baby O’Riley”
The Who “Won’t Get Fooled Again”
Yes “Roundabout”
ZZ Top “Tush”

In other words:

If you'd like to read about other adventures from the Florida trip, my work blog tells the turbulent tale of the Cat in the Hat. You can read it
here.

8 comments:

Rickey said...

Cedeno is still garbage? Hmmm, I'm intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Heh, I kind of miss Cedeno.

One More Dying Quail said...

No "Freebird" or "Simple Man"?

Dan said...

Only one song from Queen? They can't be summed up soley by the Bohemian Rhapsody.

I don't know if you have a timeline limit (ie, no songs written after..), but I've always enjoyed both Journey and Eddie Money. The late 70s/early 80s arena style rock.

Mets Guy in Michigan said...

Good suggestions. I tried to keep it from the late 1960s to 1980, but there are a number of exceptions in there. He already has "Somebody to Love" on another playlist, and "Rock You/Champions" is a bit over played. But "Killer Queen" belongs for sure. He has "Wheel in the Sky" on another list, and I'll add "Two Tickets to Paradise."

But "Freebird?" I just can't do that. It brings back too many painful memories of middle school and the USA Sakting Rink. That was always a "fast skate" song, and I'd end up crashing into the boards or video game island, impressing no one!

Anonymous said...

Dave, I'm glad you enjoyed Florida. I think you missed the obvious reason why it was a wonderful trip: no New York stuff. :)

Nice iPod list. Skynyrd needs to be represented. Tuesday's Gone is a fav, but more fitting to that list would be Gimme Back My Bullets.

How about Foreigner's Cold As Ice. I was your son's age when that was popular.

Here's a few more:
Eagles: Hotel California; Feels Like the First Time
James Brown: I Feel Good
Chicago: 25 or 6 to Four
The Clash: London Calling
Allman Bros.: Whipping Post; Blue Sky
Eric Clapton: The Core
Neil Young: Southern Man; Cortez the Killer
Dylan: Like a Rolling Stone; Tangled Up in Blue
Head East: Never Been Any Reason
Rod Stewart: (I Know) I'm Losing You
J. Geils: Musta Got Lost (from Blow Your Face Off)
Frampton: Show Me the Way
Bozz Scaggs: Lido Shuffle
CSN&Y: Woodstock
Boston: Smokin' (heck, the entire first album)
Jethro Tull: Aqualung
Jounrey: Lovin' Touchin' and Squeezin'
Rufus & Chaka Kahn: Tell Me Something Good
Heart: Magic Man
Janis: Peace of My Mind
Styx Come Sail Away
Lou Reed: Sweet Jane (live version)
Van Halen: Runnig With the Devil; Everybody Wants Some

I am out of time.

Anonymous said...

Dave,
You went all the way to West Palm, FLA and you couldn't get over to St. Lucie? Maybe I misread your blog. Yes, I am convinced that is what happened!! That you really did go and said hello to all of the guys. But then I got to thinkin'. One of the most fanatical Met fans I know doesn't go the extra 67.5 miles (I checked map quest). So now let me tell you something, and it ain't pretty; I'm on to you buddy. I'm worried about that alien take-over thing that happened close to your neck of the woods in Michican. You know about it, oh yeah, it didn't make your paper because your probabaly in on it (not to mention a respectable paper). But it made the National Inquirer (read frequently by our esteemed president Bush, matter of fact, he gets most of his foreign policy news from there) That, and what ever Condy Rice whispers in his ear. Just letting you know I'm watching!!! I will be monitoring this blog very closely!!!

TW, Granite Bay

Mets Guy in Michigan said...

Oh man, the secret is out! Busted! Actually, you checked Mapquest but not the schedule! The buys were up playing the Indians on the day we were able to get to a game. But we did pass by the stadium on our way down from Orlando. And did I tell you about Yehaw Junction? We got to go there and look for souvenirs in the most frightening gas station EVER. It was sweet.

I did get a Mets spring training t-shirt.

Anonymous said...

My bad, forget the whole alien thing!! Jeeze, I hope your parents will still let us freeload when we visit FLA.

TW